2014 Brand New Year

11:22

Happy New Year!!

This may have came a little late but it's always better late than never. :) 2013 had been such an adventure for me, and I am certainly looking forward to a brand new journey that I will be embarking on in 2014!

As many people would start off the new year with a list of New Year's Resolutions, I would just like to share my Top 10 memorable events that occurred in 2013. Starting chronologically by months,

1. Close-invite dinner with Minister Wong of MCCY



This was probably one of the most unexpected dinner invite that I had ever received. I am very honoured to be able to attend this close-invite dinner, alongside with my close friend Yunghian (also a full-time undergrad in Yonsei University), and the different Singaporean representatives of banks based in Korea, companies and self-employed. Got to know more about working in Korea as a foreigner from fellow Singaporeans, and talk to the Minister more about student/college culture here in Korea. Also, it was very heartwarming to hear words of encouragements from Minister Wong and the Singapore Ambassador for our courage to choose the unconventional path of tertiary education :)

2. Fall Semester Honours Excellence Award 최우등상 


(L-R) Me, Enoch and Melanie 

It's my second consecutive semester in obtaining this Highest Honors Award. I did not understand what was this award initially, until I realised it was an award similar to what most of us would be accustomed to hearing - the Dean's List. I was really glad that my efforts paid off from school but I am definitely guilty now since I had obtained both a B and C for two of my courses so far during my exchange T.T Well, technically exchange students would just have to pass the courses, so I hope the school would not mind my bad scores.. After all, the classes offered here in University of Toronto definitely felt much more intensive than the classes I had back in Yonsei - certainly lived up to its ranking of #16 in the world!

3. Full Yonsei Tuition Fee Scholarship

This was undoubtedly the happiest moment of my life. Without this full tuition fee scholarship, I would not have been able to convince my mom to allow me to go on the Student Exchange Program. Before this full tuition fee scholarship, I used to only get stipends or partial scholarships for tuition fee. Now I am proud to say I am on a full tuition fee scholarship, which really lightened the financial burden :)

4. World Embassy Chorus for Seoul Friendship Fair


(L-R) Dominica Republic, Peru, Singapore, Ukraine, Vietnam

Yet another great opportunity that I was given to sing on stage, in a foreign land. This time round, I wasn't alone (thank goodness, haha) as I had the representatives from all over the world - Peru, Vietnam, Dominica Republic, Ukraine, Thailand, etc. In the photo above, I was dressed in my Kebaya costume that was given to me as a gift by my Malay neighbours when I was 14. Surprised that I could still fit in them, though it was a little tight in some areas. 
                         
Photo Credits to my sister, Collen

Nonetheless, we had fun rehearsing the famous Korean song sung during the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Our conductor was Choi Sung-Bong, the inspirational opera singer from Korean's Got Talent. I'm sure some of you had watched his video before, if not you could check it out here

5. Turning Legally 21


Customised birthday cake by Charlotte Grace Cake Shop

Turning 21 is certainly a huge thing in Singapore. I had written a full post on my birthday party which you can read it here :) 

6. First flight alone to North America

In transit; Seoul Incheon Airport

Well, I had always travelled alone ever since my the day I studied abroad. Be it traveling on bus rides from Wonju to Seoul over the weekends or flying from Korea to Singapore (vice versa). Flying to the N.America for the very first time, alone, was really an experience. Full fledged 19 hours of flight, excluding transit time, it was a long and tiring journey indeed. Now that I am waiting to fly back to Asia in a week's time, some how I can't wait to get on the plane because this is how much I had missed Asia.

7. Exchange Program in University of Toronto


   GNUafected!


2013 New College Frosh Formal 

FROSH. I thought this was a clever compound word as it instantly made me realised it meant Freshmen Orientation. I was assigned to be in New College, and given a chance to join the NC Frosh Week with the rest of the freshmen of the school. The Frosh kit cost me CAD140 and I had my doubts and restrains about it initially. "This is a great way for you to make new friends!" - this was what I was told by most of my other friends, when I consulted them for opinions. After much persuasions, I did. One full week of orientation spent with my frosh group - GNUafected. As a third year (Junior) student in my home university, and considered a fourth year (Senior) here in UofT, I definitely felt awkward with the froshies at the beginning. I could safely say that I am either the same age, or older than almost all the frosh leaders. Hahahs. Coming from a student council who had planned and organised orientations for a few years (through middle school to high school), it certainly felt surreal to be a participant in a camp again. I am glad I blended in well as a freshmen, and pleasantly or shockingly surprised my frosh leaders and other fellow groups' leaders that I was 1) twenty-one years old and 2) just an exchange student for one semester. In any case, I had bonded well with my group, and I'm proud to say that we are one of the most kept-in-contact groups among the rest :)

 Chelsea and Christine. Closest buddies in AIESEC Toronto :)

Also, I joined an international student organisation that I always wanted to join back in Korea or Singapore but didn't have the chance to - AIESEC! Although it was only a short 4 months period, I definitely had fun with my PR Portfolio, especially the social media team! Love my director and team mates! Made lots of new friends across different portfolios and even other local chapters from Ontario region! If you had not heard about AIESEC, here's a video that gives you a brief idea of what we do. :)

Taken in Old Port, Montreal

Largest Group I'd even been to a Karaoke with :)
2013 Fall Exchange Students in University of Toronto 
(Not everyone attended the event, but this was the only photo with the most I got)

And of course, not forgetting the friendships that I had forged with friends from all over the world, including my two home countries - Singapore and Korea! I am glad that I am able to meet Singaporean friends that I met back in Singapore over this upcoming Chinese New Year, and also Korean friends when I am back in Korea this coming February! To the rest of my international friends, I do hope to visit you all one day in their respective home countries! Exchange had made me learnt so much and gained so many new friendships that I would never forget. :')

8. Travelling around the US East Coast


As I am writing this, yes I am still here in the States. In Cincinnati, Ohio to be specific. I'm pretty much stuck in America right now because I overspent during my shopping trip in NYC and do not enough money to travel down South as planned. Instead, I am staying at my friend's place here for free accommodation and food. Oops. But I am really thankful to have met these great friends when I was in Korea. Without their kind hospitality and understanding, I would probably been worst. That aside, my trip along the East Coast had been pretty much fulfilling. States that I'd travelled to are as follow:

i. Buffalo, NY
ii. Knoxville, Tennesse
iii. Washington, DC
iv. Philadelphia, PA
v. New York, NY
vi. Pittsburg, PA
vii. West Virginia, VA
viii. Dayton, OH
ix. Cincinnati, OH
x. Oxford, OH

As of now, I have been in Ohio for almost 2 weeks. And I will be leaving for Chicago the day after tomorrow and that will mark the last state to visit during my stay in the US for now. Plans after NYC was originally a road trip down South, to Florida and Miami for the warmer weather. However, due to tight finances, I had to give up the plan and chill around in Ohio instead. Transportation (including car rental and gas) and accommodation took up most of the expenditure, excluding shopping. Henceforth, do not underestimate these expenses! I was lucky to be able to save on my accommodation in Philadelphia, Ohio and Pittsburg! So, start contacting your friends if you have, and ask if you could have a couch!

9. Getting a ticket (summon) in US for illegal parking


Yep, this was certainly the biggest fine I'd ever received (fyi, I'm not even a driver myself yet). US$301 was what we got for parking at a handicapped lot for 20 min. Thank gawd there were 5 of us to split the fine, imagine if it was just 2 of us! US$60 for each of us and since then, we read the signs very carefully before considering parking at the lot. Lesson learnt: Never mess with the US traffic police, else you will get a big fine like we did T.T

10. New Year's Eve Countdown in Times Square, New York City

Counting down in Times Square, NYC for New Year: CHECKED! 

This was definitely one of a lifetime experience, and one of which I would never do it again as well. Basically, as far as what the online reviews and discussions had mentioned.. they are true. Yes, you do not get to pee for as long as you are inside barricades. And yes, you have to arrive early so as to get a good spot. And yes, do not drink water. Bring food to fill you stomach or you can pay $20 for some domino's pepperoni pizza. (I was amazed, Domino's deliverymen were walking around to sell the pizzas, and I must say their business were pretty good!) Also, bring some things to do if you can, I downloaded videos to watch but ended up just having a good heart to heart chatting session with my friends in the cold. :) FYI, we arrived at 11:30AM but there was (already) a whole bunch of people queuing up to get into the barricaded areas! 


From 6PM onward, rehearsals of the scheduled artists began. And from 7PM, there were hourly countdowns by the host and special guests. I was bored and decided to "try my luck" in tweeting our pictures to the big screens, and voila! I got all my photos onto the big screen! The above was one of them, I had a total of 5 sent in if I didn't recall wrongly. Definitely an experience, haha!

Karina and I 

The clock strikes 12 and it symbolised a brand new year. 13 hours of wait in the cold was a mental and physical test, but it was unquestionably memorable! I'm glad to have fellow Singaporeans friends whom I met here and to have gone through this one in a lifetime moment together!

Wow, this was a long wordy post. Thank you if you had made to the end of this blog entry, I truly appreciate it :)

Gotta turn in early as I will be traveling to Chicago, the last stop of US before heading back to Toronto!

xoxo,

irenesiah


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images